Bird Photographer of the Year is accepting entries for 2021. It is the leading bird photography competition, celebrates the world’s best bird photography, whilst supporting conservation efforts through imagery and financial support. The Overall Winner of the competition will take home a £5,000 cash prize, alongside the coveted title of Bird Photographer of the Year. The 2021 competition is now open with an £18,000 prize fund.
Bird Photographer of the Year is a global photographic competition: it is a celebration of avian beauty and diversity, and a tribute to the flexibility and quality of today’s modern digital imaging systems. Never before has there been a competition of this scale dedicated purely to the growing interest in, and passion for, photographing one of the most interesting and engaging areas of natural history. The advent of digital technology has revolutionized photography in recent years and some fantastic images, of a quality that wouldn’t have been possible in the days of film, now proliferate on the internet for millions to see.
Bird Photographer of the Year is a competition that will appeal to a wide range of people. Whether you are a hardened pro, a keen amateur with the latest kit, or simply a hobbyist with a camera phone or small compact camera, there is an opportunity for you to have your pictures critiqued by leading experts, win prizes, appear in a stunning coffee table book and perhaps be on display in the travelling BPOTY exhibition. And who knows, you could be the next ‘Bird Photographer of the Year’ and win £5,000.
- Grand prize: Bird Photographer of the Year
Chosen from category gold awards, the Grand Prize Winner will be awarded a £5,000 cash prize.
- Gold award
In all 8 main categories, our 1st place winner will take home a pair of Swarovski CL Companion 8×30 binoculars (worth £900).
- Silver award
In all 8 main categories, our 2nd place winner will take home a Tilopa bag with the Essentials Pack upgrade from F-stop Gear (worth £360).
- Bronze award
In all 8 main categories, our 3rd place winner will take home a top Zenfolio website subscription.
- Portfolio award
The winner of our Portfolio award will win a camera package from Olympus. This will consist of a Olympus E-M1X, 300mm f/4 lens, and a 2x converter (worth £4,000).
- Conservation award
The winner of our Conservation award will be awarded a £500 cash prize.
- Young Bird Photographer of the Year
There are 3 categories for this competition (8 and Under, 9-13 years, 14-17 years). The winner of each category will win a £100 voucher for camera equipment. The winner of the Young Bird Photographer of the Year will be chosen from these category winners, and will take home another £200 voucher for their local camera store.
- The Competition is comprised of both an adult competition (the ‘Adult Competition’), and a youth competition (the ‘Youth Competition’). The Adult Competition is open to individuals that are aged 18 years or above on the 15th February 2021. The Youth Competition is open to individuals that are aged 17 years or below on the 15th February 2021.
- Individuals (and their partners and family members) involved in the organization or running of the Competition, including any Competition Sponsors or Judges (as defined below), are not permitted to enter the Competition.
- Images are not permitted to be entered into the Competition that:
- have required the use of live bait;
- feature domesticated animals;
- feature captive or restrained animals, animal models, and/or any animal being exploited for profit unless for the purposes of reporting on a conservation story;
- do not adhere to the ethics in Section 4; and
- were taken before 1st January 2015.
Eligible Regions: Open for All